California Car Insurance for Foreign Drivers


California Car Insurance for Foreign Drivers

Car insurance is mandatory to drive a car in the United States. This rule doesn’t change wherever you are a resident of the United States or use a foreign driver’s license. So are you wondering what type of car insurance do you need as a foreign driver? We are here to help you with that question. The type of insurance you need depends on a wild amount of factors like wherever you are a short-term or a longer-term international visitor. Rules an requirements may vary state by state, but if you are looking to use a car in the state of California we are here to help you.

Can I drive in California with a foreign driver’s license?

Yes. People with a current valid foreign driver’s license can legally drive in California with a couple of conditions.

  • They are at least 18 years of age
  • The license issued in the country they reside was lawfully issued
  • The license covers the type of vehicle they are driving (car, truck, motorcycle, etc.)

You may need and IDP which can be easily obtained in your country of residence if you driver’s license is not in English.

Can you get a car insurance with a foreign license?

Yes, you can and will need to get a car insurance if you are planning on staying in the U.S. for a short or a long period of time.

If you are a short-term foreign visitor, you won’t need to buy a car insurance from a stand-alone insurer. The easy way to get your vehicle insured is from the car rental company if you are renting a car, also most car rental companies offer another layer of protection for $8 to $30 per day, depending on the level of coverage you get.

If you are a long-term international visitor and you are planning on buying or leasing a car, you will need to get a car insurance to cover your vehicle while you drive in the United States. A lot of companies won’t allow you to buy coverage without a U.S. driver’s license, but Ez Insurance is one of the companies that does. You can get a quote from one of our agent here.

Common Required Car Insurance Coverages

  • Liability Coverage: Pays the other driver's medical and car repair expenses if you are at fault in a crash
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Covers your own medical and car repair expenses if the other driver is at fault but does not have insurance
  • Personal Injury Protection: Pays for your medical treatment after a car crash, regardless of who is responsible